Wednesday, June 28, 2006

How Fragile We Are

Andy and I are back in Felton.

Please keep my Dad in your prayers. He and Jacob were hit head-on when a car full of teenagers swirved into their lane as they drove home from Scotts Valley. My Dad was air-lifted to San Jose's Regional Medical Center. He will make a full recovery; the injuries could have been so much worse. But, he has multiple fractures and is in a lot of pain right now. Jacob has a broken collar bone, but was released that night and is doing well.

Mike is still in Pittsburgh, since he started his new job this week. We found out about a potential hazard on the home front--extensive lead paint in deteriorated condition. Mike is getting that removed while we're away.

Today I also found out that my friend (my teaching partner for the past two years) just lost her mother to cancer after a long illness. When her brother flew home for the funeral, he contracted some strange virus and also died. I can't imagine the pain she and her family must be going through. The world doesn't seem to be a very safe place at the moment. How do people find meaning in the face of senseless tragedy?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Barbara,
I am sorry to hear that your father and brother were in such a serious actident. How scary! I am so glad that they both will be ok. All my love.

Sunshine