Thursday, July 27, 2006

Pittsburgh is a Primanti Brothers' Sandwich




Pittsburgh, much like the city's famous sandwich, is a lot easier to stomach than it looks!

I'd like to think I became an official Yinzer this weekend. I ate my first (meatless) Primanti Bros. sandwich, everything but the picnic table shoved between two slices of white bread, with just my bare hands to contend with. I usually like my french fries on the side, with ketchup, thank you very much. I like my cole slaw on a plate, with a fork, please. Although I balked at the mess (they call this a sandwich?) of fries and slaw protruding from thick grilled slices of Italian bread, melted American cheese, and a juicy red tomato--it was in the same manor of hesitating before the first bite of a Swensen's ice-cream sundae. This can't be good for me. I really shouldn't, it's mmmmm, ummmmm, ymmmmm, what was I saying?

In other words, it was good. Damn good. I like the sandwich like I like the city. Unsophisticated, yes, but interesting. Unusual yet familiar.

After hearing of my hesitation to move to Pittsburgh, my uncle Elias, who is from Lebanon, told me: "It's the United States of America! Anywhere you go here will be good." He was right. I'm finding the experience of living here more similar to California than different. Still, there are enough regional differences to make life interesting.

Now if I could just bring my family and friends here, too....

Welcome home, Dad! Can't wait for you and Mom to try a Primanti Bros. sandwich. You can skip the Iron City beer, though. They may make a decent sandwich, but their beer is watery and flat!

2 comments:

Cayenne said...

The Sandwich sounds Great. I keep reading your blog so keep up the fun entries and also any rants you have (those are fun too). I will call you soon, I have an unlimited phone plan now so we should have a nice long talk.

Sunshine

Anonymous said...

love the picture of you eating the sandwich--classic! Pop