Monday, March 26, 2007

Seven, Eight, Nine, Stupid



In the bathtub tonight, I asked Andy to count to ten, and then it would be time to turn the water off. How high to fill the tub is a matter of contention between us. I prefer it halfway full; he'd prefer to flood the bathroom floor. Tonight, Andy seemed strangely complacent with my request to turn off the faucet. He looked at me, sweet as pie, and counted to nine. Then he grinned a little wider, and, staring brazenly, whispered "stupid."

That impish grin! He knew what he was doing.

I can't believe I missed that grin this weekend. Mike and I enjoyed our first weekend away since becoming parents two and a half years ago. Our time away was peaceful, relaxing...all the words you can think of that are never associated with parenthood. But something strange happened: we got bored. We missed our little spitfire.

We came back to hear some interesting stories from Grandma and Pap-Pap. Andy was not shy, and over the course of the weekend revealed his full spectrum of moods and true colors. He was up several times at night, asking for juice. He refused to wear some of the outfits he himself packed, because "they did not match." But my favorite quote from the weekend is "Pap-Pap sadded me." (Upon being told he must come inside).

His capacity to frustrate and confuse us, delight and amuse us, grows greater every day.

Just before we left, he told me, "That is a pretty shirt, mommy." And today, I heard, "You are pretty, mama." (This was not precipitated by bribery, and he didn't want a thing, I swear!)

I am even strangely pleased to hear him shout, "I am angry with you!" (No repressed emotions in this child!) If he can keep the word "angry" and skip the word "hate" during his teenage years, he'll be doing much better than I did.

******
Separately...

CONGRATS JACOB on a successful opening weekend in Les Mis! I'm so proud of you, and wish like anything I could have been there to see your performance as Javert. BREAK A LEG!

No comments: