Saturday, December 17, 2005

This Christmas, embracing my Inner Geek


Photo courtesy of Mike
I would like to become a member of the Sarah Vowell Fan Club. Mike and I were first introduced to Vowell as the voice of Violet, in the animated film The Incredibles. Since then, we have discovered that Sarah Vowell's literary voice is more intriguing than the sarcastic, nasally, perfectly teenaged whine she brings to the character of Violet.

We sat transfixed through the DVD's special features, as the character Violet became flesh and blood in the eerily similar real-life person of Sarah Vowell. Sarah is interviewed in her office, which is adorned with memorabilia of presidential assasinations, and her collection of snow globes.

"Now that I portray a superhero, it's something my family and friends can get behind. I didn't get too much enthusiasm over my research on Garfield's assasination," she quipped during the interview. We watched the featurette twice, and wanted more.

Later, I saw her appearance on John Stewart's the Daily Show, promoting her book Assasination Vacation. Mike checked out the book from the library, which turned out to be an educational and surprisingly funny series of anecdotes on three US presidents and the men who wanted them dead. Since, Mike and I have worked our way through her previous books, reading The Partly Cloudy Patriot, and now Take the Cannoli. I'm looking forward to devouring Radio On: a Listener's Diary. Vowell is also a commentator for NPR's This American Life.

What is it that so appeals to me about her writing? It's not just that her political views agree with my own, only she's far more educated and entertaining about them. Her appeal is more than her candor and wit, and the fact that she inspires me to see historical dimensions in the public places of everyday life.

She's my heroic anti-hero. She's the Shrinking Violet of Superheroes, who has both the power to disappear and the boldness to "withstand embarassment. Maybe even seek it out. To take nerdiness to its most dizzying....extremes...to stick out my tongue at the (tormentors) of the world, run back to the baritone horn of life, and blow mighty and proud," (from Take the Cannoli).

When Mike gave me the Incredibles Violet action hero for Christmas this year, I burst into tears. Because I'm grateful for the man with whom I can take nerdiness to dizzy extremes. Who helps me embrace my wounded inner geek. Who makes me feel like a giddy kid again at Christmas time, playing with my action figure doll with posable arms and legs.

Mike (and Sarah and Violet) inspire me to use my own voice.

No comments: