Thursday, December 15, 2005

We love Lucy!

I am now a proud auntie to Jessica's newborn, Lucy. Lucy is a Wellington Pug. Andy and I have enjoyed puppy sitting on our days home together, while Jess is at work. The two cousins share a remarkable many traits. Consider:
They both bark at other dogs.
Neither are housebroken. Lucy prefers to poop behind the Christmas tree; Andy has many favorite places around the house.
They both love to play in the backyard and eat tanbark.
They both vie for my constant attention!

That last trait, needing constant attention, is what's keeping me from adding a Pug to our own family. It is tempting. Lucy has a sweet, mellow temperment, and loves to snuggle. Andy giggles deliriously while running after her. I have Lucy withdrawls when we return her to her mommy...

Today I'm officially on Winter Break. Instead of starting laundry and packing for our trip to Pittsburgh on Monday, I'm here blogging while Andy pounds on the television set in a desperate addict's plea for Elmo videos. He got a buzz from inadvertently starting the DVD we left in the player from last night (The House of D--and we don't recommend it).

OK, I just tore him away. Thus starts my lifetime role as my kid's buzz-kill. He's on my lap now, pacified by Iggy Pop's Nightclubbing, the first song that popped up on Mike's iTunes. (Which begs the question, what exactly is Mike doing on his days home?)

Anyway, Andy is rocking out. The kid has rhythm.

Oh, spoke too soon. He just let out an anguished howl in the direction of the TV.

Have I mentioned that my son is strong-willed?

We've got to end this Seseme Street addiction. Other kids may politely hand their parents the remote control in request for more of the sweet muppet stuff. (A parent at the park shared her son's habit of doing this.) Not our little guy. He knows what he wants, and there's nothing subtle about his demands for MORE! VIDEO! NOW! (No words yet, just high-pitched wailing and pounding of fists.)

Which is why, when Mike came home from work last week, I very pitifully asked: "Can we trade him in for a Pug?"

Mike reminded me that Lucy isn't nearly as creative or interesting as Andy, who tried to hang both play-doh and underwear from the Christmas tree.

No comments: