Wednesday, February 01, 2006

C is for Cookie


Our son is addicted to gingersnaps. They're the no trans-fat, Swedish variety, but still a cookie. Somehow, I can't bring myself to deny him this pleasure. Aren't they wholesome? They're brown and sweetened with molasses. A cookie my grandmother would approve of. So, when Andy requests gingersnaps for breakfast, lunch and dinner, he receives them. But when the bag is finished, I don't intend to buy more. We'll have to go the "Elmo" route, feigning a puzzled look: Elmo, who's that? Cookies, what cookies?

(I haven't posted in several weeks, and this is what I come back with...gingersnaps...)

Since my world is about to be turned completely upside down in a few short months, I've been trying to focus on the little pleasures in life. Those pleasures that will stay the same. There will be plenty of gingersnaps and Seseme Street in Pittsburgh. It's not as if we're moving to Antarctica (although the winter wear would be the same.) And Andy would love those penguins.

The truth is, I'm excited to experience the seasons, and life on the other coast. With housing prices among the lowest in the nation, we'll be able to afford a lovely home. Our own home! To become homeowners in the bay area, I would have to work full time. And all we can afford is a one bedroom condo in East San Jose. (No thanks.)

In the meantime, Andy is my example of living in the moment. In his world, there is no shortage of love, Elmo and cookies.

16 months old today!

1 comment:

Sarah Burkett said...

WOW...16 months old! Andy is growing up so fast. I must say Barbara, I can relate to your January 19th posting - PATIENCE! I love being a stay at home mom but I can agree with you, some days you just can't post a "picture of the day" on the blog. Every mother should know what we're talking about :)grin
Love, Sarah and Alexandra