Wednesday, August 23, 2006

The Little Stinker





These pictures were taken at Mike's parents' 40th anniversary mass and brunch. From the innocent look of the photos, you might not guess that Andy has entered the waters of the "terrible twos." But, we have hit the terribles. With a cannonball dive. I'm on the side of the pool, drenched. Actually, I'm in the pool with him...drowning, trying to keep my head above water. Can you throw me a life-jacket?

We may not be permitted back in the library. Yesterday at toddler storytime he hit three children, for no apparant reason, other than that they were in his way. "NO!" he screamed at a sweet 14 month old girl who dared to toddle near the gigantic activity cube in the center of the library. He guarded his territory, like a dog backed into a corner.

"AN-NY!" he shouted. (In Andy-speak: "That's MINE, so just back away slowly, little drooling thumb-sucker, before someone gets hurt!")

The little girl dared to put her hand out to the toy, and I should have seen it coming, but I didn't, and he hit her. I pulled him away, grabbed his hands, and tried to explain that he hurt her, that he couldn't hit. He just laughed, much like the way he laughs after hitting me at nap time. But this was the first time he hit another child. And it happened two more times that day. Urgh.

So, we're not going back to story time for quite a while. It was too crowded and difficult for me to keep a close eye on him. I think he did feel threatened in his own toddler way.

Any ideas on what to do?

Pictured: cousin Courtney, great grandmother Agnes "Nana", and great aunt Ann.

No comments: