Friday, September 30, 2005

All the cool kids are saying it

"Bah is the new 'dah,'" Mike told me the other day, referring to Andy's language development. He said this as if he were talking about the season's trend in fashion, green is the new black . And he seems to be right: everything is now "bah", not just balls. Toys, cellphones, children on the playground...they are all "bah!" Just like everything became "dah", not just dada.

Andy's party is tomorrow, and I have all this nervous anxiety about it. Parties are hard for me in general; parties that I throw, especially so. Do other people have party anxiety, or this a residue of my shyness? I worry that there will be enough food, that friends and family will mind the long drive, that Andy will be overwhelmed with the attention. That I will be overwhelmed with the attention. Even though we only invited people we love and who love us in return, I still feel anxious. I wish I didn't, because as soon as everyone arrives I will be so happy to see them. Will Andy feel the same way? I hope so.

At times like these, I envy Mike's coolness. Although he is a quiet person, he doesn't have the "party anxiety" that I do. None. He just shows up with a smile and ends up having a good time.

This is just one of the many things I love about him.

I'm frustrated with Karl right now. I called him and asked if he would help watch Andy so I could get ready for the party tomorrow. Fifteen minutes after he arrives, he walks out the door.

"Where are you going?"

"Um, I just have to go. I'll be right back."

I thought he was getting something from the car. No, he drives off. A half hour later, still no Karl....

No comments: