Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Mama told me there'd be days like this

Sending a holler out to the universe, and to my readership of three (mom, mom-in-law, and Siobhan in Ireland): time for a change! .

I'd like a shorter commute and more time with the little guy.

Feeling like a bad mommy when I wake in the darkness, and leave his sleepy cries for Daddy to soothe so I can beat rush hour traffic. And back at the end of the day. Exhausted. How do full time working moms do it??

I'd like to take a picture of the house at the end of my short work week, to show how totally incapable I am of lifting a finger to care for anything else but Andy and myself. Picture this: packing peanuts (those styrofoam cockroaches from hell) underfoot, half-eaten crackers scattered about the floor, along with clean and dirty laundry (which is which?), and all contents from shelving heights of two feet and under.

Even now, I'd rather write about it than clean it. Where do I start, with my soon-to-be-one-year-old-tornado moving right behind me?

Yesterday I came home to find Andy dressed in his "I spent the day with Daddy uniform": the onesie he slept in, and his slick black hide-the-dirt adidas sweat pants. My mom dropped by after work at the same time I came home. I noticed she didn't enter the house. "Just came by to say hi," (she glanced behind the door) "well, gotta go home and make dinner."

Mom works a full day and goes home and cooks dinner. What did Mike and I have for dinner last night? Taco Bell.

To Mike and my credit, the house isn't always this disorganized, and we don't always have Taco Bell. Poor Andy has a cold and has been up crying at night. He's been miserable, and so have we. Mike eventually spent the night in the other room so he could get some sleep. Luckily, I don't have to work today.

But this brings me to want a new working situation even more than before. I'd like to start a parent participation preschool in the area. I'd like to be with Andy every day, but still work in a teaching capacity. Andy and I really need to get out of the house, and meet other moms and babies.

Please send good thoughts our way about this! And we'll be pushing the vitamin C, to get over his cold...

No comments: