Saturday, November 05, 2005

Ball means many things in his language



I mentioned that we are letting Andy air-dry while his diaper rash clears up. Although he loves being naked and free, I've decided that diapers are really one of humankind's best inventions.

Yesterday he was pushing his lego wagon madly around the living room while his bum caught the breeze. I snatched the opportunity to put his laundry away.

Suddenly, it grew very quiet in the living room. As a parent I've learned that silence, however welcome, is never a good thing.

Sure enough, I walked into the living room to find Andy examining a lump of something warm and brown that came from his own body.

"Ball?" he pondered, looking up at me quizically. The look of horror in my eyes did nothing to convince him otherwise. "Ball!" he proclaimed, pointing excitedly. "Ball!"

He howled in protest as his mean mommy whisked him away from his fresh creation. "Baaaaaall!" To add insult to injury, I put him in a diaper, and he hasn't been without one since.

Just when we thought he was getting closer to the definition of "ball". (Pumpkins and balloons, we can understand...)

No comments: