Thursday, November 17, 2005

Ruminations

I was all set to take Andy out this morning to our first Felton playgroup. The Mountain Munchkins meet at the Felton Covered Bridge Park at 10:30 on Thursdays. This is the only public playgroup in town that I'm aware of, but it always falls smack dab in the middle of nap time. Nap time is so precious that I haven't wanted to give it up, even though I've wanted to meet up with these munchkins and their mamas for some time now.

Today, I was determined. The plan: get Andy up a little earlier in the morning, and then down for an early nap at 9:00.

Well, at 8:30, Uncle Karl rapped on the window and gave Andy his goofiest smile. I couldn't deny my son the pleasure of hanging out with his Favorite Person in the Whole Wide World. So, Andy and Karl played ball outside, and pushed the Lego Wagon in laps around the living room. Andy lived it up. At a little after nine, there was no way this wired boy could fall asleep. Not with visions of Uncle and ball! dancing in his head. Even though I tried to explain to him that the Munchkins wouldn't wait for us. Didn't he want to expand his social network?

I do. I miss adult conversation on my days home. You might not think that teaching affords many opportunities to socialize. Yet, those brief encounters over the copy machine, in the staff room at lunch, a few exchanges with parents before and after school--they serve as a bridge to the outside world, provide validation that my work with the children is important, and that I am connected to others who are doing the very same, terribly demanding and extremely rewarding, work.

Moms don't get those opportunities, unless they really seek them out. That's half the reason Andy and I venture to the park in the afternoons. Sure, I want Andy to practice climbing and interacting with other children. But I'm always hoping I'll find a sympathetic, friendly mom in the bunch. Someone who wants to admit that her house is never as clean as she would like, and isn't this the hardest job in the world?

No comments: